It rained most of the night and continues this morning as we pack up the trailer for our final leg home. I am at the stage now that I just want to be home in my own bed and not have to worry about packing trailers, washing in laundry tubs and wearing thongs to showers.
The Groats are happy we brought the rain and ask if we can come back when next it is needed. We load up with an extra child to take back to Sydney and set off as the drizzle continues. Toby, Chloe and Jess (Blake) settle down with the DVD player in the back seat and we are off.
An hour or so down the road, Jess tells me her paper bag (hanging off the back of the drivers seat) is ‘leaking’. ‘How can that be?’ I ask, knowing there was nothing liquid in the bag when I put it in the car this morning.
A sheepish Jess then confesses to carsickness and used the bag to ‘offload’. The poor girl hadn’t said a word just gotten quietly more nauseous as the rest of us drove on in oblivion.
Needless to say Jess ended up in the front seat for the remainder of the journey, while I took in the back seat perspective.
At Willoughby we said good-bye to Jess and headed for our final stop at Grandma Nola’s house where the keys were waiting. As usual we were invited in for dinner and to regale her with our stories but frankly I was now over the whole thing and wanted to get home to bed. We drove off minus the keys and had to turn around again 10mins later to go back for them – serves me right for being impatient I suppose. These things always come back to bite you, don’t they.
Home looks just like we left it. The place is spotless the beds are made but no animals greet us at the door. Strangely quiet we down take-away food and collapse into bed, our journey officially over!
No comments:
Post a Comment