I went into the local store to buy milk this morning and for the first time in ages actually saw/heard some news. The headlines in local paper this morning reads:
• “2 people killed on the Tanami after hitting a camel”,
• “The incidence of mulga bites down on last year – evidence that cane toads are causing havoc in the top end” (apparently the toads are poisoning the snakes).
I don’t think I’ll bother with them anymore!
The Ross Highway Alice to Trephina is a 1 lane sealed road so we had a relaxing drive and I caught up allot on the blog – not that I could upload it though!
We passed lots of cattle but little else to speak of along the way, stopping briefly to gather firewood. On arrival Ian & Deb, Steve & Natalya (Jessie 4 & Luca 16mo) were already set up and had saved us a spot next door as there were limited sites. We quickly unpacked and the boys got down to the serious business of AFL watching.
Steve and Natalya had brought their 50cm flat screen tele, satellite dish and 2 kva Honda Generator – obviously they were Victorians! So beers in hand, deck chairs at the ready they settled down for the afternoon.
Toby and I went for a walk down to the gorge and ended up doing a rim walk over the top of it, which was very picturesque and peaceful. Unfortunately little water is about despite last weeks rain and I would love to come back when these gorges are full and it was warm enough to swim.
On the way back a large sign warned about using generators in the national park – Toby & I chose to forget we saw this piece of information and the Bulldogs beat Brisbane and our VIC friends were happy. A great fire in the centre of camp made BBQing easy and we all tucked into great meat and salads (courtesy of Woolworths Alice Springs!)
Later that evening a local ranger gave a talk around the campfire about the local area and the duties carried out in the park – tourist management, fire, weeds, endangered species, feral animals & fence maintenance.
A cup of Billy tea saw the kids eyelids grow heavy and it was easy to get them into their tent which they had set up to do some ‘real camping’ and we sat by the fire to enjoy some adult company.
Trephina Gorge Camp Ground (Bush Camp $7.70)
No comments:
Post a Comment